Being centered in Christ, nurtured by the Eucharist, our covenant is to extend Christ's peace and compassion to all. The mission of St. Martin of Tours is to be a living, joy-filled catholic community of faith, that is dedicated to the growth of God's Kingdom and the living of the Gospel. We are committed to spiritual development through prayer, education, worship and service.
Founded in honor of St. Martin of Tours, Patron Saint of the Poor, St. Martin's Parish was begun in 1946 by Father Augustine C. Murray. During a walk through the Brentwood neighborhood, Father Murray saw a statue of our Blessed Mother in the backyard of the home owned by Mr. Frank Fay. Mr. Fay gave St. Martin of Tours Parish Community permission to use the Pool House to celebrate Mass and the statue remains in the rose garden to this day. The Weber family soon afterwards joined in opening their home for the celebration of Parish Sunday Mass. The church was built and dedicated in 1947. Father Murray continued as Pastor until retirement in 1974. The present Pastor, Monsignor Lawrence O'Leary, was appointed Pastor in 1979.
In 1954, St. Martin of Tours School was constructed and staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondolet, who continued to staff it until 1979. The same year, Father Murray purchased the Gary Cooper estate, which was next to the church property, and the home became a convent. A portion of the property was utilized fo both a playground for the school children and on weekends for church parking and still is for these purposes. That house and land used for the convent was sold in 1980 because the Sisters of St. Joseph no longer were able to take care of the school.
The existing rectory was built in 1968. The Parish Center was constructed in 1983 and has been a great help to both parish and school for education, social functions, meetings and entertainment. The church was renovated in 1989. In 1998 a new wing was added to the school. It consists of spacious administration offices, a library, a state-of-the-art science lab and a reading/math lab.
The biggest social event of the year was begun with the "Murray's Follies" in 1948 and held at the Del Mar Beach Club. Joe E. Brown and Frank Fay were the instigators of this first "Follies." A short time later, it was named the "Leprechaun Ball" and this gala event continues to this day. As the years passed, Edmond O'Brien and his wife, Olga San Juan, were the entertainers when the Ball was in the Grand Ballroom of the Beverly Hilton Hotel. Maureen O'Hara, Donald O'Connor, Steve McQueen and Pat O'Brien were distinguished helpers and entertainers as the years passed.
Rev. Msgr. Lawrence O'Leary
Monsignor O'Leary studied for the priesthood at St. John's Seminary, Camarillo, California. He was ordained a priest on May 30, 1953 in St. Vibiana Cathedral, Los Angeles, California, by Cardinal McIntyre, Archbishop of Los Angeles.
For many years Monsignor O'Leary worked as the Director of the Society for the Propagation of the Faith and the Lay Mission-Helpers of Los Angeles. Monsignor O'Leary was appointed the Pastor of St. Martin of Tours Church on March 1, 1979.
Rev. Donal Keohane
Father Donie Keohane studied for the priesthood at All Hallows Seminary, Dublin, Ireland and was ordained a priest in 1968 in Ireland.
He has worked in the United States since 1968. He was appointed the Associate Pastor of St. Martin of Tours in 1990
Rev. Ed Wrobleski C.S.P. is a member of the Paulist Fathers and is stationed at St. Paul the Apostle Church, Los Angeles. He is our Sunday Assisting Priest at St. Martin of Tours.